Welcome to the blog of author Tricia Goyer!

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Advice for Novelists (Part 5)

C.J. Darlington, co-founder of TitleTrakk, is running a great series on her blog: She started a series of blog posts in which industry professionals (editors, agents, publicists, authors, etc.) share their responses to this question:

"If you could say one thing to aspiring novelists, what would you say?"

Rod Morris had this to say:
Don't preach to your readers and don't give in to the temptation to explain (tell) what's going on in your story. Know your characters intimately and let us see and hear them in action, then trust the power of their story to convey the theme or message of your novel.

--Rod Morris, Senior Editor, Harvest House Publishers

Stop Lurking! Every week I will draw names for a free Tricia Goyer book from those who comment on my blogs. Winner's choice! Tell your friends

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Tricia, thanks for posting this series. I found the comments by Alton Gansky's advice to be very helpful, too. I'm trying to learn just what he discussed: cutting out unneeded words. On my blog right now, I'm trying to write pithy essays that absolutely stay under 300 words - and maybe I should drop that to 250.... Anyway, thanks for the link!