Welcome to the blog of author Tricia Goyer!

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Little by little...

I remember what is was like looking at published authors. They seemed to have everything together ... and I seemed so lost on God's plan for me.

I've been looking back at old journals and it helps to remember how far God has brought me. Maybe this will also encourage those of you who are still striving and dreaming of publication:

3.13.97

Well, I finally heard . . . No, the publisher didn’t accept LEGEND. I called * this morning and they made their decision last night (what timing, huh?). She said that LEGEND made it to the finals of the finalists. She said that it was a very hard decision and LEGEND wasn’t rejected because of the writing quality, but because they had too many Contemporary, western novels and they needed some variety. She also said she wrote me a personal note and I should be getting that soon and not to put LEGEND in a drawer, but to get it out there. Well, that’s what I’m planning on doing. So I guess now I know what to take to the conference . . . for the third year in a row!

(I wrote this a few days ago before learning about *'s decision. I know it was written to minister to me this very moment.)

Thought for Today:

“The Lord your God will drive out those nations before you, little by little. You will not be allowed to eliminate them all at once, or the wild animals will multiply around you.’ Deuteronomy 7:22

As I read Deuteronomy, and the exhortations to the Israelites as they prepare to enter their promised land, I think about my future in writing. I feel as if I am standing in the wilderness, gazing upon the promised land on the other side. The obstacles of acceptance appear overwhelming, yet the land of publication looks so good, so bountiful! My desire is to take it all now, to step over the threshold and subdue the land! Yet, God knows better than I. “Little by little,” is His plan.

God knows the territory. He knows my ability. He knows how overwhelming it would be to get too much too soon. So step by step, I’ll keep His pace. An article, a filler, a devotional or two.

At times when I feel ready to overtake the land, Lord, help me to remember it is only possible little by little, one step at a time.


Stop Lurking! Every week I will draw names for a free Tricia Goyer book from those who comment on my blogs. Winner's choice! Tell your friends

3 comments:

Millions of Exaggerations said...

I absolutely cannot wait for my first submission to be rejected! That would mean I actually finished one!

This was a very very very very encouraging post....thank you Tricia!

ebussey said...

Thanks again for the encouragement. Pray that I will be diligent in simply submitting. I think with all God is showing me there is a fear of being overwhelmed.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Tricia. Such great encouragement. I love reading about your road to getting published. I identify with so many of the things you say and know others must too. Thanks for being open with us wannabees - it gives us hope that according to God's plan we will be!!!