Welcome to the blog of author Tricia Goyer!

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Advice for Novelists (Part 9)

C.J. Darlington, co-founder of TitleTrakk, is running a great series on her blog: She started a series of blog posts in which industry professionals (editors, agents, publicists, authors, etc.) share their responses to this question:

"If you could say one thing to aspiring novelists, what would you say?"

Andy McGuire's answer? Surprise me. Think of an opening line that sounds like nothing you've heard before. Then follow that up with another. Then the next one. And the next. Come up with unique ways to introduce characters and plot elements. Find fresh metaphors and new insights. Avoid everything that sounds like you've heard it before. If your manuscript continues to surprise me, I'll continue to read it. Guaranteed. Novels are a reader's way of vacationing in someone else's mind for awhile. If it feels familiar, what's the point? Read the rest here.

Stop Lurking! Every week I will draw names for a free Tricia Goyer book from those who comment on my blogs. Winner's choice! Tell your friends

1 comment:

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

Great advice. I am so enjoying your site. I think it is helping my writing quite a bit.