Welcome to the blog of author Tricia Goyer!

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I don't save anything

Years ago I read the below advice. Unfortunately I didn't remember who said it ... but thankfully the advice stuck with me.

Whatever paragraph I'm writing, I attempt to give it all. I don't save anything. I gobble up the best in the presenting, trusting God will provide more for the future.


“One of the few things I know about writing is this: spend it all, shoot it, play it, lose it, all, right away, every time. Do not hoard what seems good for a later place in the book, or for another book; give it all, give it now. The impulse to save something good for a better place later is the signal to spend it now. Something more will arise for later, something better. These things fill from behind, from beneath, like well water.

Similarly, the impulse to keep to yourself what you have learned is not only shameful, it is destructive. Anything you do not give freely and abundantly becomes lost to you. You open your safe and find ashes.

After Michelangelo died someone found in his studio a piece of paper on which he had written a note to his apprentice, in the handwriting of his old age: ‘Draw, Antonio, draw, Antonio, draw and do not waste time.’ “

-- Anne Dillard, The Writing Life, HarperPerennial


Stop Lurking! Every week I will draw names for a free Tricia Goyer book from those who comment on my blogs. Winner's choice! Tell your friends

4 comments:

Susan Stitch said...

Tricia,
Your post reminded me that I intended to send this link to you a while ago, but I thought you probably had more than enough material to work with and wouldn't be interested. Silly of me to make that decision for you! This seems like a great opportunity for a book or series of books, but I'm not a fiction writer. Hope you find it worthwhile.

http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=139145

Susan

ebussey said...

Thank you! Again. God sent you to me as an encourager, I just know it!

Anonymous said...

I am glad to have found your site.

I loved this post. It's applicable in so many ways....leave it all on the court as they say.

Blessings,
Debbie aka The Real World Martha(S)

Tricia Goyer said...

Thank you for this, Susan. This is awesome!!!!!