Welcome to the blog of author Tricia Goyer!

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

His holy experiments ALWAYS succeed

Many people tend to think of me only as a novelist, but that is far from the truth. I still write articles when editors contact me. (I have a hard time saying "no"!) And I write for publications that I write monthly columns for. I write parenting material, mostly because I'm dealing with that on a daily basis and have this crazy obsession to write about every part of my life. I also blog, which is like therapy. (Hey, thanks for saving me the $150/hr. a therapist would charge!)


(photo courtesy of flickr)


Sometimes, people feel bad if they're not publishing novels or other types of books. For many years, God didn't make writing books part of His plan for me. Yet during that time God used me in other types of writing ministry.

This morning's My Utmost for His Highest reading is one of my favorites. Here's a quote from it:

"We have the idea that we can dedicate our gifts to God. However, you cannot dedicate what is not yours. There is actually only one thing you can dedicate to God, and that is your right to yourself (see Romans 12:1). If you will give God your right to yourself, He will make a holy experiment out of you—and His experiments always succeed. The one true mark of a saint of God is the inner creativity that flows from being totally surrendered to Jesus Christ." (Oswald Chambers, June 13.)

For YEARS God gave me many other writing assignments that had nothing to do with fiction. You can read about them on my website (Under "For Writers.")

What about you? Yes, do whatever God lays on you're heart. After all, His holy experiments ALWAYS succeed!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This was fabulous. I am currently writing what I *thought* might be a book (non-ficion). However I started to feel this pull that perhaps that might not be the venue for the message right now. I've prayed about it and reading this makes me think those "feelings" might be God's voice redirecting me. I need to pray some more on it but thank you.

I do think we get caught up with thinking only book authors are "true" writers. Of course that's not true but it is a sentiment I see a lot. Great post!