Welcome to the blog of author Tricia Goyer!

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Delegating...

When my kids were young I took care of them, homeschooled them, and kept a clean house ... then came life. When they got older (and busier) and I started getting book contracts I couldn't keep up with it all. I started with delegating some of the chores. Even though they didn't do them as I did at least they would get done! Later, I hired a teen girl to clean my house. After that I've hired people for other things--paperwork/assistant stuff, accounting, and sometimes even cooking! (Yes, I've paid friends to make meals for me!) I think as moms we try to do it all ... and we miss out time with our kids and our family. When I'm thinking about whether or not to delegate I consider what I can do and what someone else can do. I need to write the books I'm contracted to write. I need to be the wife and the mom. So if I'm able to hire people to help with the other stuff then I have more time for only what I can do.

What are some areas you delegate in your own life?

4 comments:

Deena Peterson said...

Help me out here, Tricia! I'm not an author, but a reviewer and I'm drowning in books, clutter and guilt. How can I break the cycle and feel like I'm actually working when I'm not getting paid for what I do??

Anonymous said...

Hey is Hi in the south. Hey Tricia, I follow you on twitter and I wanted to know how you got started on publishing. I have enough poetry for two books but I don't know how to get started without it costing me an arm and a leg. I am not very different from you except that I'm unmarried and the children's dad has passed away. I have four children and I am a full time student. I was reading how you have to choose what is most important for you. I wish I could afford to have someone cook and clean for me. My children are growing up fast. My oldest is 15 and my youngest is 9 with a disability.

Tricia Goyer said...

dowe336:

Here is a great outline of the steps it takes toward publishing:

http://www.rightreading.com/publishing/howto.publish/howto.publish.htm

Most of all, remember that God gave you those poems for a reason. They might be for a book, but maybe they can be shared in other ways, such as on a blog or through magazines. If you are looking for places who are interested in poetry check out the Sally Stuart Market Guide.

I hope that helps!

Tricia

Tricia Goyer said...

Deena,

There is no guilt when you are doing what God has called you to do. I deal with this every day ... I must constantly ask, "God, what do you have me to do?" Sometimes it's writing. Sometimes it is doing stuff with family, but if I feel God's pleasure than there is no guilt.

Love ya!
Tricia