Welcome to the blog of author Tricia Goyer!

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Lord, Teach me to pray about everything!

I've been thinking a lot about prayer lately. Mostly about how prayer transforms my heart. In the last few months there's been a ton to pray about: our mission trip, the Czech people, my teens, my book projects, our (never ending) adoption paperwork, life.

In the last twenty days I've returned from Europe, finished two books (that were mostly complete), and I'm working on finishing a third. We've welcomed an amazing foreign exchange student into our home. I'm trying to figure out the new school year with my kids.

This morning, Hurricane Gustav is heavy on my thoughts as well as the upcoming election. I'm also still thinking about all my new friends in the Czech Republic, and praying their drawing closer to Jesus day-by-day.

I'm not praying because I want to change God's mind about any of the events. I'm praying so God will change my mind and my heart. I know He has a perfect plan, and my desire is to align my heart with His.


Here is a great quote about that from this morning's Bible Study:

He seeks to rouse the spirit of intercession that He may be able to bestow His blessing on mankind. God regards intercession as the highest readiness to receive and to yield themselves wholly to the working of His almighty power. --Andrew Murray, Prayer

Reading this, God wants me (and His world) to have the best that He can give ... so He gives me the desire to pray. He does it to mold my heart. To align my thoughts with His.

I suppose that God could automatically do His will without my prayers--or the prayers of His people. But, if He did, how would I recognize His work?

I've been praying more lately, not because I'm becoming more spiritual, but because I'm realizing that God chose for His power and provision to be released through the prayers of His people ... not only for the answers that prayer bring, but for the molding of the prayers' hearts. The molding of my heart.

I want God's perfect will for this moment more than I want anything else. And my greatest prayer is that I'll be drawn to pray more and truly understand what it means to "pray without ceasing." To try to live every day seeking God's power and provision in even the little things, knowing that the main point isn't that my circumstances change, but rather my view of God-at-work deepens.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very well written and what a poweful reminder of the real power & purpose of prayer. Thanks.
Wendy M. Reynolds

Filoiann Wiedenhoff said...

I enjoyed reading this. Amen! It is a blessing how the depth of the spirit is truly deep and the meditations of our hearts do bring us closer and more intimate with Jesus. Prayer and His Word through the Holy Spirit are the tools in which God provides us to get there. In HIM! Blessings.

I have a scripture to share with you.

Isa 26:3-4
You will keep him in perfect peace,
Whose mind is stayed on You,
Because he trusts in You.
4 Trust in the Lord forever,
For in Yah, the Lord, is everlasting strength.
NKJV