Welcome to the blog of author Tricia Goyer!

Thursday, February 26, 2009

I need help getting started...

Yesterday I was asked the question "I'm writing a non-fiction book. I'm stuck in trying to create a vibe rather than just write it so it can be edited, any jump start tips?

Here are my top five ‘getting started’ tips for writing non-fiction."

1. Start typing and write out your message as if you're explaining the topic to someone you care about.

2. Write down everything you KNOW about the subject. (It may be more than you think!)

3. Split up your ideas into topics. Separate these topics into chapters.

4. Ask your friends (real or on-line) their thoughts on the subject. It's great to open up conversation.

5. Read a non-fiction book you love ... read until you get the rhythm and then start YOUR story on the page.

No comments: