Welcome to the blog of author Tricia Goyer!

Monday, January 26, 2009

What are some of your favorite book titles?

Out of all my books, my favorite title is Arms of Deliverance. It's a perfect title for this story about rescuing a Jewish child during WWII.

When it comes to creating a title of a book, the publishing house makes the final decision. This comes after LONG discussions with editors, marketing people, and salesmen. These people know their stuff!

The titles of half of my historical novels have been changed. Here are the old titles, and what they were changed to. I like the publishing house's titles MUCH better!

Mine: Theirs

The Orchestra = Night Song
Flight of Darkness = Arms of Deliverance
After a Thousand Nights = Dawn of a Thousand Nights
A Valley in Spain = A Valley of Betrayal
This Shattered Land = A Shadow of Treason
To Touch the Sky = A Whisper of Freedom

They've kept all my non-fiction titles, except one. In the middle of writing my book for teenage mothers I noticed the title wasn't working with the teen moms I mentor. After some brainstorming we changed it.

What Every Teen Mom Needs = Life Interrupted: The Scoop on Being a Young Mom

Now, maybe I can get your help!
I have a stand-alone novel I'll be writing for Guideposts. It's a granddaughter/grandfather journey to Europe, visiting the places he experienced during WWII. There is romance (w/ granddaughter in her 30s) and a deepening of the granddaughter/grandfather relationship. Her grandfather also meets up with someone from his past who he saved during the war.

The title I have now is: Remembering You. It's a fine title, but I'm not completely sold on it. I'd like to convey heartwarming relationships, history, and reunion. Thoughts?

No comments: