Welcome to the blog of author Tricia Goyer!

Monday, July 28, 2008

Advice for Novelists (Part 36)

C.J. Darlington, co-founder of TitleTrakk, is running a great series on her blog: She started a series of blog posts in which industry professionals (editors, agents, publicists, authors, etc.) share their responses to this question:

"If you could say one thing to aspiring novelists, what would you say?"

Angela Hunt has written over 100 books (WOW!), so I'm especially interested in her response!

The most valuable lesson I've learned about writing is that the old admonition "write your passion" is more than mere mantra--it's essential to developing your voice as a writer. For years I wrote what I thought the market wanted, but then an editor dared to ask, "What are YOU dying to write?" That question--and the resulting book--gave me the first glimmer of the writer I was supposed to be when I grew up.

--Angela E. Hunt, author of over 100 books including The Elevator, The Fairlawn series, Magdalene, Uncharted. Visit her online at her blog here. And at her website here.

No comments: