Welcome to the blog of author Tricia Goyer!

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Time Management 101: Life



I always get TONS of requests on info on how I do everything, so ... in November (and now into December) on Tuesdays and Thursdays I'm going to have Time Management 101 with tips for balancing family, hubby, life, job, friends, house, etc.


Life


1. I shop BIG and make sure I have full cupboard to choose from when I cook. Some weeks I plan a menu … but most of the time I try to think a few days ahead. I schedule in to start making dinner at 5:00 p.m.


2. I daily sort mail and clean off my desk. I weekly try to catch up on emails. I bi-weekly pay bills.


3. I don’t usually answer the phone during the day. I’ll let people leave messages, and then I’ll return them later.


4. I don’t get sucked into email. I schedule that like everything else.


5. I often answer email when we’re hanging out and watch family movies. My family is amazed I’m able to follow the story and go through messages. (Of course, if it’s a movie I’m really interested in, the computer gets put away.)
6. I schedule in “learning time” which is reading a writing book or even doing an on-line class. This month I did one with Margie Lawson called Deep Editing that I’d highly recommend.

7. As if you couldn’t tell, I’m extremely time-conscious. Wasting time is a pet peeve of mine. I continually think of saving time throughout the day. For example, if I need to heat up my coffee and put water in the dog dish, I’ll think, “I can put the coffee in the microwave and then give the dog water while it heats.” I’m that anal about it!

8. I give my full attention to the thing I’m working on. We have guests over once a week or. When I’m entertaining, I’m there. When I’m writing, I’m there. When I’m talking with one of my kids, I’m there. No guilt. No worries. No regrets.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What tools do you use for time management? I'm especially intersted in tools that you've used to keep track of writing, homeschoolig, and regular life stuff.

PDA, paper organizer, other?

Beth

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the typos in the previous comment...perhaps I shouldn't homeschool my children :(

Beth, the homeschool mom and writer who can't spell or type.

Tricia Goyer said...

Beth, that's what editors are for! :-) I use them all the time.

I LOVE your idea. I'm making a note to myself to blog about tools. I do use a few different ones.