Welcome to the blog of author Tricia Goyer!

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Journey to publication...

I was blessed to be on faculty this year at Mt. Hermon Christian Writer's Conference. It was cool. VERY cool. In fact, teaching there has been a dream of mine for a while.

I attended my first Mt. Hermon Writer's Conference in 1994. At that conference I gazed up at the faculty members with adoration on my face. They were PUBLISHED which made them completely cool. I wanted to be like them. At the time I didn't know how much hard work, learning, and dedication it would take. Yet, I wouldn't change any part of the journey in getting from "there" to "here." It was through the journey to publication that I also grew closer to God. Amazing!

At the conference I spent the first three days in the Head Start Mentoring Clinic. I had an awesome time with Joan, LoraLee, Carol, Randy, Mary, and Joyce. I enjoyed helping each one along in their journey, and I can't wait to see where God takes them! (My group)

At the regular conference I critiqued manuscripts, met with new writers, and taught workshops. Oh yes, and I hung out with friends. (I love my writer/editor/agent friends!)

And ... one of the coolest things is that one of my local students, Alexa, attended the conference. I teach writing to homeschooled high schoolers every month, and Alexa has been in my class for four years. She's a great writer, and I was thrilled Alexa was able to come and learn from other teachers too.

Then, as a complete surprise to me, Alexa won BEST NEW WRITER! She was chosen by the other faculty members as the one who had impressed them the most. I felt like a proud mom sitting there, cheering her on. Congrats Alexa! (She's in the middle)



If you've every considered attending a writer's conference DO IT! And maybe if you're at Mt. Hermon's next year ... we can hang out, too! It's a date!

1 comment:

Karen Barnett said...

I had so much fun at Mount Hermon. This was my first year and I admit that I was looking up at you and the other faculty adoringly, as well! Thanks for taking the time to teach and encourage new writers!