Welcome to the blog of author Tricia Goyer!

Saturday, April 25, 2009

Mommying and Writing: The Nitty Gritty - Kids and Chores

For the next two weeks I'll be running a 'Mommying and Writing' series. Just a few things I've learned along the way as both a Mommy and a Writer!

Kids and Chores.

Since I homeschooled and had kids home all day, trying the keep the house perfectly clean was impossible. Instead, I tried to find a balance between letting things go (like messy rooms) until the end of the day. I also incorporated chores into our daily routine. At each age-level I figured out what things the kids could do to help, and made it fun. For example, when my oldest was two he put away our non-breakable dishes. At three he set the table. At five I taught him how to load the washing machine. (An angel sticker on the washer told him where he needed to turn the knob to turn it on.)

It did take time to teach my kids, but the older they got the more independent they became. By the time my kids were in elementary school I could direct them to set the table or make a salad for dinner with full confidence that it would be done. Training them in chores freed up more time for me to write, it also gave them important skills that they’ll carry into life.

No comments: